Friday, August 17, 2012

Go ahead mom. Give me your best Hungary joke.

From Bucharest to Budapest. I caught my last night train and slept my last three hours on a night train. My hostel was on an island in the middle of the Danube. It was a beautiful park with a big fountain and everything. Pretty sweet. It so happened that one of Europe's largest music festivals was going on the next island up the river. The Sziget (it means island in Hungarian) Festival. Being at the end of my trip money isn't exactly flowing freely. So I missed out on going for a day or two. But the upside of there being a festival is there were loads of awesome people to meet.

Budapest has some really nice boulevards that are great for just meandering down and checking out the city. It was a beautiful city. I only took public transport once. I preferred to check it all out rather than see the tunnels. Folks there were also really nice. I'd be eating lunch on a park bench they would try and converse with me, despite a complete language barrier. We might eke out six lines of conversation that we could understand but it was a great gesture. Another thing that made me smile is when I'm say I'm from the US they get really excited and happy to meet someone from there. It makes me glad to see people still like us. People have only gotten enthusiastic about my home in Eastern Europe, I guess because not many Americans make it over that far. I sure didn't see many. For instance I was the 5th American to ever stay in my hostel in Bucharest.

When I first arrived I checked in and went to a corner market. While in there I saw they had a big bowl of some crispy looking objects in the little deli section. As I was paying for my stuff asked what was in the bowl. "Fried fat." she told me. I was literally taken aback because she laughed a little at my reaction and my contorted face. "That's disgusting." I thought to myself. Then "When in Rome." was the next thought. So I asked to try a piece. It was foul. I can't describe the texture of it. But I can tell you how revolting I felt as I ate it and forced it down. After I get back to my hostel I asked the guy why they eat fried fat. He then proceeds to tell me that nobody just eats pieces of fat. That that is gross. A little might be sprinkled on top of some food or in a sandwich. The girl at the market could have informed me of that. Or maybe she wanted to see some moron eat fat.
Parliament

Alexander- one of my friends from a park

















No comments:

Post a Comment